Friday, July 20, 2007

Civil Asset Forfeiture expanded again

I have always groused about civil asset forfeiture - a legal right the govt. gave itself back in the Reagan days where they can take your possessions like your house and your cars if they suspect you of a crime. Note that: merely suspect you. It started with the drug war, but has quietly continued to expand to other illegal activities, such as hiring a prostitute. For instance, a mother once lost their only car because dad visited a hooker in it.

Well, just this week, Georgie expanded civil asset forfeiture again to include those who "Threaten Stabilization Efforts in Iraq."

The outrageousness and dangerousness of this kind of thing speaks for itself, so I won't rant on about it.

However, even some Republicans are getting nervous the George and the gang intend to essentially declare a dictatorship, since recently George also gave himself the power to be a dictator should a national emergency occur. My wife, a polysci major, feels that even if they did, congress would step in and do something.

I'm I being unrealistically paranoid? I dunno. What do you think?

No comments: