Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Never grow old

I was tooling around the other day with the top down, wind whipping and the stereo blasting away, when one of my indelible songs came on. The endorphins were rockin' along and suddenly I found myself listing (I still think of Whisky's "I'm Listing!" category when I find myself mentally composing a listing post).

My indelible songs are the ones that when they cycle up in a playlist or on the radio, I never turn them off. Even if I'm not in the mood, they get me in the mood - and the sad ones like "Most of the Time" don't bring me down. This list skews to older songs because only after time do you find out if a song "wears out" or is mood dependent.

What about my beloved U2 (which only got one song on the list), or Yoshimi, or Dwight Yoakam? And, gosh, there's not one Paul Simon song on here, even though the whole of Hearts and Bones is one of my all-time faves. Those are usually ones I have to be in the mood to listen to. Or, I still think they're great, and will even listen to them on occasion, but I may not play them for well over a year or more.

In compiling this, I decided to go with full versions of the song when I could (and was able to, for most of them), so I went with videos where I could. My bias was to always go with the better audio, no matter how goofy the video is (a lot of them are home-made), except where I point out a better audio version. I also went for the exact mix or version that I like, and have indicated when my favored version wasn't available. I didn't embed them because you'd have to scroll for minutes to get to the bottom of the post, and I thought that'd be outrageous. I have made them so they'll pop in a new tab/window, though, so you don't have to keep surfing back to hear the next one.

Finally, just a reminder that if you like some of these, and need a copy before you can buy one, this old post explains how to do that.

In alphabetical order:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norman Greenbaum! Bless your heart. Did you know he's Jewish? Surprising, given the lyrics to "Spirit in the Sky".

Joel

Anonymous said...

That is surprising. My first thought was "Then he wanted to go for a big hit, then" (yes, I even think in anglo-nordic-fargoian), and sure enough, the wiki entry backs that up.

Whisky Prajer said...

Although not quite as surprising as Marc Cohn's sentiments must have been to his parents, I would think.

Thanks for the shout-out, BTW. In the blogosphere attribution is the highest form of praise.

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine the response: <Mike Myers as Linda Richman>"Just a long as it's only for the night, dear."</Mike Myers as Linda Richman>