Saturday, October 25, 2003

Cluelessness

<Rant>

I've been a member of the Columbia Music Club since I was a kid. Their "buy 1, get three more free" deals cannot be beat.

But, recently, I got a nastygram from them to the effect of "you've not ordered in a year, so we're ending your membership unless you order something". So, I go on-line to see if there is anything I want, the odds of which are slim because the music industry pretty much as a whole has lost its mind and spews yer basic dreck anymore. Well, anything that I did want wasn't available in any offer, so I woulda paid the full $22.98 or whatever for each freakin' one, in these days where I can go anywhere and get it up to $10 cheaper. So I wrote them an email and asked them not to dump me.

But, assuming they will dump me because so far they've shown they don't really understand what customer service is, I call to redeem these "bonus points" I've earned (because of course you can't do it on the web), which is supposed to get me free music, but I'm like 5 short and they won't discount it or prorate it - you gotta have a full number for a CD, even if the CD is cheaper than full price (and thus should be fewer points). McFeh.

Here's where it gets stupid(er).

The person on the phone starts in with "but what I CAN do for you sir is offer you various selections, like 'Linkin Park', for $4.99, or..." I stopped her right there. This was the impression I got from the web site, too, that these people act as though they are selling towels or brands of soup and not music, as though one with a close enough color, or one that tastes like other stuff I like, is equivalent in regards to music. Worse, they are trying to sell what they want to sell, and are not allowing me to buy what I want to buy in perhaps one of the few retail situations where only the very thing you like will do.

It was kinda like this:

Moi: "Y'know, I'd like that Elvis CD over there."

Idjit music club: "Oooo! That'll cost ya! But, tell ya what, sport! I've got an Elton John CD right here today that'll cost a lot less, and Hey!, his name starts with an "E" too!"

Moi: "The fuck?"

I'm having a hard time getting past the sheer dunderheadedness of this.

I read a few years ago that all the actual music lovers were being run out of the music business, and they were all being replaced by suits who heard nothing but the bottom line and could care less about the product. The final death knell was A&M records being acquired and closed. Judging from today's shopping experience (and the radio - AND CD releases anymore) the conversion is now complete.

<Rant>

How sad for us.

No comments: