Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Superman - The Album

Back in 2001, after "Five for Fighting" had a hit with "Superman," it dawned on me that there were quite the handful of songs about Superman.

So, with my prodigious CD collection, I put together a CD for myself of all the Superman songs to see how it would hang together. Here's the song list:

Jimmy Olsen's Blues - Spin Doctors
Kryptonite - Three Doors Down
Non-Toxic - SR71
O Superman (For Massenet) - Laurie Anderson
Superman - Sister Hazel
Superman - Five For Fighting
Superman - REM
Superman's Song - Crash Test Dummies
Superman - Barbra Streisand
You Don't Mess Around with Jim - Jim Croce
Superman - Lazlo Bane

It was pretty good, except for the jarring inclusion of the Barbra Streisand track. If you're a straight guy, you've gotta be in the mood for Babs, and that's not often.

It then occurred to me that someone oughta release this commercially, because I bet it would sell. I sent an email to Rhino records saying maybe they should do this, included the song list (sans Babs) and included some homebrew legalese saying I was giving them this idea freely and didn't expect any compensation, except maybe a free copy if they were feeling generous.

Well, last week a buddy whom I made a copy of the Superman CD for comes by with this CD. From Rhino.

Apparently they used my idea!

And, no, I did not get a free copy.

No comments: