Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"I remember literally breaking out into a sweat"

I've written about this before, but now I can actually show you Butch Vig's reaction to hearing Nirvana play "Smells Like Team Spirit" for the first time.



The reason this intrigues me is it's about the genesis of probably one of the best songs evar, a pivotal moment in music history.

I've always wondered what it would be like to be there when a seminal work is being born. I have a friend who spent years in the arts scene, going to performance after crappy performance of local bands, cruising all the art openings, hitting every event he could merely to experience being there when something huge was born and took off.

I don't think he ever had the pleasure.

Anyway, here's one story of being there when it did happen. I would've probably broken out into a sweat, too.

No comments: