Friday, October 29, 2010

3 Songs for the Season

While trusty Whisky has been kickin' out the jams with several album recomendations lately, I've only got three single songs for ya.

But, they're pretty damned awesome, imho.

First of all is Cee-Lo Green's "Fuck You." Cee-Lo is one half of Gnarls Barkley.

Catchy and profane as hell, it makes me grin every time I hear it (alone in the car or privately on the MP3 player, this ain't one for the kids).

Shoo the kids out of the room and give it a listen. Now listen again, and near the end of the song listen to the whiny part where his mom says "This is one for your dad." I laugh hardest then.


As a companion disc to the other K-tel compilation I dreamed up, Love Songs for One, I've got start at a set of expurgated obscene songs, to be entitled later:

- "FU" by Cee Lo Green
- "F**k You" by Lily Allen
- "Crazy B*tch" by Buckcherry
- "I Bet You They Won't Play This Song On The Radio" by Monty Python




My favorite song of the moment is John Mellencamp's "Save Some Time to Dream."

The song itself is just a good tune, as evidenced here by one of the many live performances you can find on the web, but this particular version from the album No Better Than This is a haunting rendition that must be heard.

The concept of the album was to record in mono on the original equipment with a live band in the various places that Elvis, Robert Johnson, and other great artists recorded some of their seminal tracks. While it's worth one good listen, I don't imagine this is one I'm going to slap into the player that often.

However, I've already played the hell out of "Save Some Time to Dream." I'm still not tired of it, and I think it's one of those I'll always come back to.

I continue to be amazed at the great songs Mellencamp is capable of writing. I look forward to everything he does now.




Finally, we have one of those songs I should be deeply deeply ashamed of for even liking (but I've never cowered from proudly declaring I like what I like, even to the extent that I "won" one of Micheal Blowhard's (aka Ray Sawhill) "I'm So Gay" competitions).

If you have daughters around the house, there is no escaping the cultural impact of the TV show "Glee." While I can't watch more than 10 minutes without feeling like I have to guzzle a beer, scratch my ass, and belch loudly enough to alarm the dogs (we have two now - a story for another day), when my daughter queued up their cover of Van Halen's "Jump," I have to admit I was charmed. (Second link here in case the first one is yoinked; however the producers of the show seem to realize the value of viral video on Youtube.)

Having the chorus sing the rhythm guitar part is inspired, but having the voices spread out in harmonization in the latter part of the "bah bah dah dum," so it sounds like the harmonicis of Eddie's guitar, is beyond brilliant.

I'm gonna have to remember when I have the windows rolled down when that one cycles up on the player in the car.



Happy Halloween everyone!

3 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

Man, Cee-Lo's song is huge. The CBC (think NPR, sorta) devoted an hour to its discussion a few weeks back (after playing it, of course), which gave me some idea of what was going on. The guy can't get it played on the radio, but everybody knows/has/is singing it = the model for media success has (mostly) been revolutionized.

I wasn't charmed by Mellencamp's latest, but it certainly left me with the impression that his chops as a live performer have only improved with age. He'd be someone to see, I think.

And getting back to the CBC, you might be curious about this. Coupland's "lectures" ("readings" really) should be available as podcasts in the coming months. The book is already available. I know I was pretty pissy after my last go-round with Coupland, but ... geez, the guy does know how to provoke the gray cells (which is what the Massey Lectures usually do).

yahmdallah said...

Thanks for the Coupland link. He's been on my recent radar for his rather apocalyptic world view (not that it doesn't hold with what he's written before), and this is just one more thing I can use.

I'm pecking at a post on him, but no guarantees. I'm in one of those weird places where a lot of post ideas just kind of die on the vine.

Whisky Prajer said...

One more link, then, for your future post.

Word verification: "cluck"