Friday, July 28, 2006

When MTV Mattered

After MTV got over its brief awkward stage (the first year or so) and before the cliches got established (jittery slow-mo, dancers, etc.), there was a golden age of video.

My personal fave is Donald Fagen's "New Frontier." Besides the fact that it's a great song and the video actually tells a story (related to the song, even), it's also a mini-review of the best of the 50s animation styles and the art that inspired them - which makes it educational, too.

Enjoy:

1 comment:

Whisky Prajer said...

I especially like the "Peace. Out." at the end. I have to admit, though, that I hit "play" reluctantly: this is probably my all-time favourite Fagen track (and I loves 'em all), and I did not want to supplant any of the images I'd concocted for myself over the hundreds of times I've listened to this song. I was cool toward the actors, but rather enjoyed the astronaut finish. Nice.