Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Don't you know there's a war on?

Yes, I do. However, I have nothing to add to the dialogue that isn't already being said, and said much better than I could.

Personally, I am ambivalent about the war. Saddam is a bad son-of-a-bitch. He needs to go if he's gonna get nukes. However, this will most likely be the first time that America has initiated a war outside of its borders. I say "most likely" because I read an article recently (can't find the URL now) that put forth the theory that in the Mexican-American war and the Vietnam war, we taunted the other side until they shot at us, and so we didn't fire the first shot, but having been shot at were free to "defend" ourselves. I don't know if this is true or not. The fact still remains this will be the first time we have clearly attacked a nation that did not attack us or one of our allies, first.

So, I don't like that idea. I think we as a nation will "pay" for that for a while, but if someone like Saddam gets nukes - which, by the way, has probably happened in North Korea - it will be a scarier world than it was during the cold war. Russia had a good reason not to start a nuclear war - they had as much to lose as we did. But Iraq's and North Korea's "leaders" just don't view the world that way. They don't care what their nation has to lose; it's all about ego and what's in it for them personally. As long as they can get somewhere where the radiation can't hurt them, in their mind, they've succeeded.

It's a lose-lose thing, seemingly.

Sometimes a cloud's silver lining is toxic.

No comments: