Friday, July 25, 2003

Dawkins for Dummies

For those many of us who are kinda prepping for the first time we encounter some idiot who adopts Dawkins' label of "bright" - a conscious PC spin/label alternative for atheist - I have an idea.

As we often don't hear things correctly when we hear them the first few times when they're used out of their older/standard context - think "embedded" reporters in the latest war, for reporters that agreed to all the military's rules for disclosure of information and propagation of approved propaganda* - it gives us an opportunity to put in a little dig, such as, "'In bedded', meaning you're in bed with the military?"

*Btw, I thoroughly approved of this tactic of "embedding" reporters. We don't need to be putting our men and women at risk because some journalist wants a freakin scoop. I even think having them on the convoys was going too far, unless it was fulfilling some unspoken military objective.

When we encounter a self-announced "bright", I suggest we lean in, give them our "I didn't quite get that" face, and say, "I didn't quite get that...did you say 'blight'?"

Their response: "Oh no, I said 'bright'."

You/me/us (still feigning not getting it): "'Blight'?"

Them: "No! 'Bright.' As in 'bright light'. It means I don't believe in superstitious nonsense."

And then you can either give them the "Oh! Now I got you" face with the "And I'm going to move away slowly, with deliberate movements so as not to excite you" mixed in for good measure. Or you can prank them a little further with something like: "You know, I really liked the movie Gremlins too! [Mogwai voice:] 'Bright light! Bright light!'" Then laugh heartily.

And of course, refer to them as "blights" whenever possible.

Naturally, Asian immigrants can play a variation on this.

Tee hee hee!

No comments: