Sunday, July 27, 2003

The Market

Let me tell you how bad it is out there right now. One job I applied for had 4,000+ applicants, and though it was in my field, it did have a very specific requirement - something akin to having gardened geraniums on Tuesday and those who have potted posies on Thursday need not apply - so it's amazing they still had that many applicants.

Another position in my field, which did not require something really specific, had over 10,000+ applications. In this particular case, I was recommended by a peer who gave them my resume personally (which is often a guaranteed interview), and still didn't get a call.

So, I guess the only relevant question is: would you like fries with that?

(Which in itself is only a lame punchline, because two decades back I applied at McDonald's, and even then they told me they wouldn't hire me because I was over-qualified.)

La Cucaracha by Lalo Alcaraz

No comments: