Thursday, July 10, 2008

Verbiage

I think I've identified someone who reads my blog!

Aren't lists like this just silly?

Really, I think the only universal stylistic advice regarding word choice that I feel is sort of correct, and I'm sure a lot of you would agree, is the avoidance of adverbs.

Mark Twain put it this way: Substitute damn every time you’re inclined to write very; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be. (I doubt this is the exact phrasing, but it's close enough.)

Stephen King put it this way: The road to hell is paved with adverbs.

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Sya said...

I've pretty much not avoided any of the words-to-avoid from time to time. I tend to write how I speak but without the "ums", "ahs", and occasional stuttering.

Yahmdallah said...

Exactly. Also, about half of those rules end up with a really (heh) stilted style.